Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are You Crafty?


If you have a knack for knitting or are crafty in some other way, I've stumbled accross a cool website called Etsy.

You can buy and sell crafts and supplies as well as various vintage items. Building your web store is easy - no HTML knowledge needed - they'll walk you through setting it up in minutes.

Listing your items for sale costs only .20 cents per item. You have four months to sale an item before it must be relisted (for another .20 cents). Etsy earns only 3.5% of your sales price (not including shipping) and you pay once per month.

I'm a pretty crafty person, but I've been specifically trying to brainstorm a product or products that are especially useful during the recession. Example (although admittingly not a very good one): people are probably drinking less coffee at $3+ a pop and therefore drinking coffee at home more frequently. With this in mind, coffee mugs might be fun and useful to make. (I say this is a bad example because you can buy mugs EVERYWHERE, but I hope you get my point).

My mom knits awesome slippers and sews killer pillow cases, so I'm definitely recommending this site to her.

Plus, isn't the name "Etsy" just adorable?

Awww....

No comments: